Thank you for helping us test Zero-Prefix Weather Suggestions!
We are trying to make the address bar suggestion offerings more useful and relevant to users. We are implementing zero-prefix weather suggestions on the address bar as our first foray into local suggestions.
Help us get wider feedback for this new feature!
This feature might not work in all countries. If you do not see any suggestion, please fill out the survey and let us know which country are you located in.
Before you start testing the new feature
Please follow these steps to turn on weather suggestions in the address bar:
- Type about:config into Firefox’s address bar and press Enter to open Firefox’s Advanced Preferences.
- If you are in the U.S. and you use an English version of Firefox, skip to the next step. Otherwise:
- Paste browser.urlbar.quicksuggest.enabled into the search box on the page.
- Click the double-arrow button on the right side of the page to set this hidden preference to true. If you would like details on what this does, see below. The double-arrow button looks like this:
- After you are done foxfooding, you may want to reset this hidden preference to its default false value by pasting browser.urlbar.quicksuggest.enabled and clicking the double-arrow button again.
- Paste browser.urlbar.weather.featureGate into the search box on the page.
- Click the double-arrow button (see image in step 2) on the right side of the page to set this hidden preference to true.
- After you are done foxfooding, you may want to reset this hidden preference to its default false value by pasting browser.urlbar.weather.featureGate and clicking the double-arrow button again.
- Clicking in the address bar should now show a weather suggestion. If it doesn’t appear at first, you may need to wait several seconds to allow Firefox time to fetch it. If it still doesn’t appear, see Troubleshooting below.
Information on browser.urlbar.quicksuggest.enabled:
- Setting this hidden preference to true enables the Firefox Suggest feature and makes Firefox Suggest visible in the Settings UI (Privacy & Security > Address Bar section).
- With the exception of the new weather suggestion, you will not see sponsored or non-sponsored Firefox Suggest suggestions unless you turn on the first two toggle switches in Settings (not necessary for foxfooding).
- Turning on the third toggle switch labeled “Improve the Firefox Suggest experience” will cause your search queries in the address bar to be sent to Mozilla’s Merino server (not necessary for foxfooding).
Troubleshooting and technical notes
- To force Firefox to fetch the weather suggestion at any time, toggle browser.urlbar.weather.featureGate to false and then back to true.
- To enable logging, open about:config and set the hidden preference browser.urlbar.loglevel to Info. Open the browser console (Tools > Browser Tools > Browser Console), filter on “weather”, and look for messages.
- If you see “No suggestion received”, then try forcing Firefox to fetch the suggestion again as described in the previous bullet point. Please let us know if this happens to you!
- Be sure to reset this preference when you’re done.
Areas we would like extra coverage
|Different locales (ltr, rtl)||
To help us quantify the results, please fill out a super short survey on the location accuracy and overall experience with weather suggestions.